On June 15, 2012 the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) made what is perhaps the biggest immigration announcement since the 1986 immigration reform by offering what is called “deferred action” to DREAMers. The Hurtado Immigration Law Firm embraces this bold action that provides relief for the thousands of undocumented youth who call America home and who, through no fault of their own, have been stuck in immigration limbo for years. Although there remain some unanswered questions about the policy the Dream Act reform is a large step forward for so many that were brought here as children. If you are one of these young immigrants, we at the Hurtado Immigration Law Firm know that this policy change represents the opportunity for you to come out of the shadows and fully embrace the only country you know and actively contribute to our society and economy.

I am a DREAMer. Do I qualify for deferred action?

The basic eligibility requirements are the following:

  • Be under 30 years old and have entered the U.S. before age 16
  • Have been present in the U.S. for 5 years as of June 15, 2012
  • Have maintained continuous residence in the U.S.
  • Have not been convicted of a felony, a significant misdemeanor, or multiple minor misdemeanors
  • Be currently in school, graduated, have a GED, or be an honorably discharged veteran



What are the benefits of getting approved for deferred action?

If you win your case, you can:

  • Obtain work authorization
  • Obtain a driver’s license
  • Study and attend a college or university
  • If you are in deportation proceedings, your case will be closed and you can obtain your work permit
  • If you have already been ordered to be removed, this will stop you from being physically deported
  • If you have not been placed in deportation proceedings, this will prevent immigration from placing you in deportation

How can I start my case?

We want to make sure your case gets individual attention. Please call us at (239) 362-3670 so we can start your case, get to know you, and make sure you obtain the benefits of this policy as soon as possible.

Can DACA lead to a Green Card?

If you obtain your DACA status, you may also be eligible to apply for Advance Parole – a travel document that the United States provides. If you are granted advance parole, you may travel outside of the United States and return to the U.S. legally. Once you have entered the United States legally you may be eligible to apply for adjustment of status through an immediate relative petition. We have already helped our clients through this important process. Remember DACA is a temporary benefit. Do not miss out on this important opportunity to turn this temporary benefit into a permanent residency. Call today to see if you are eligible.