If you are in a bona fide (meaning good faith) marriage with a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, your spouse may petition for you to come or stay in the United States.

Proof of a bona fide marriage include copies of documents such as joint bank statements, children’s birth certificates, the marriage certificate, proof that prior marriages have been terminated, photos of the wedding and afterwards, and many other relevant documents.

An immigrant visa based on marriage is considered an immediate family petition, therefore it is not subject to visa number limits and the intending immigrant spouse can immediately petition for their lawful permanent residency either through an adjustment of status or through the U.S. consulate if outside the United States.